Friday, November 14, 2008

My thoughts on the Electoral College...

Here are my thoughts on a friend's blog concerning the Electoral College...

Although I do love the idea of the popular vote being the ultimate decider of our President, I believe the Electoral College does what it was originally set to do. Since 1876, only three times did the electoral vote did not reflect the popular vote. I think it might be safe to say that the Electoral College is very reflective of the way people do vote in America. Look at this past election. Obama won 356 electoral votes and the popular vote. One reason the Framers did set up the Electoral College was fear of a crazy psycho who would manipulate the public and then be in the most powerful position in the country. I do know times have changed and people have good discernment and would be able to sense someone’s motives, but you never know. As well, It also brings power to the small states. It would need a constitutional amendment ratified by 3/4 of states to have the system changed. Are the smaller states really going to agree to this? I don’t think so! 


Check out his blog and my comment: What Is Going To Happen Next?


No comments: